Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Untold Love Story - The Journey

First Part


Dubai International Airport - 02:00 AM local time, April 30, 2008.
Sukumar is standing in a queue for boarding into the Emirates flight which is going to fly Chennai, India. After few minutes, he reaches the entrance of the flight. Cabin crew smiles at him and shows the way to his seat. He reaches his place and fits him well on the seat. Fastens his seat belt as the flight is ready to take off. At the time flight reached few thousands feets altitude, he puts the headphone on his ears. Turns on his Ipod Nano and plays the album titled 'Illayaraja's golden melodies'. He is slowly closing his eyes and started listening the music.
You may think, why is he coming to India? (Bcoz, i had not told you !! :)). He is coming to India for a month long vacation.
His mind is fast enough to reach India, before the first song is over on his ipod. Daddy, mummy, brother, sister, friends, sethu tea stall, high school ground, agraharam figures, Cauvery river everybody & everything comes to his mind. He starts thinking about Friends: "Where are my friends now? Krishna, Ram, Francis, Karthik, Raju ... Raju.., where is he!!? I had not talked with him for a long time. I heard that he is in Singapore. I have to collect his phone number from his father."

(Let Sukumar narrate you the remaining story in his view)
Raju is my thick friend. We were classmates from 6th standard to 10th standard. Though we were very close; we used to have a rivalry when it comes to study. We always compete with each other to get the first rank. That was mid 1990's. On that important day we had our SSLC examination's final paper.
After completing the examination, we happily wanted to go a ride on our friend's 'TVS Champ'. Raju asked me to occupy the pillion seat and started going towards North street. (Why North street? :- One of the famous figure of our school 'Krithika' lives there) I wanted to ride the moped in that street and he was kind enough to give me the chance. We were very close to Krithika's house. Oh my goodness! She is standing outside. I felt happy to see her and suddenly we were on the road. Yes, somehow I lost my balance and we fell down. After returning to school, all my friends started laughing at me. Even Raju also started laughing at me. I couldn't tolerate that. I left the place in a high anger.
That was the final day I met Raju. Very next day morning, I went to see him @ his hostel. I got disappointed to hear that he left to his hometown by last night itself. Slowly, I started realizing things: I didn't meet & talk to him when he left. We have a very long summer vacation for more than 2 months. Also, I am not sure whether he will join XI standard in our school. I was worried a lot. I cried like anything and started writing a letter to him. Did not get any reply for all my 4 letters. After 1.5 months, our results were out. I was very happy about the result. I was anxiously waiting for commencement of class XI.


(Our school is very famous in the town for its quality education. Though it is a coeducation school, seperate class rooms for boys and girls from 6th to 10th standard.)
Finally, the day had come. On a wednesday of July month, our classer for XI standard got started. I reached school very early. Our friends started coming one by one. I was very nervous, whether he will come or not? Suddenly, Raju came in front of me. I couldn't believe my eyes; thought it is a dream. He proved it to be wrong; by giving me a big slap and hugged me. Both of our eyes were in tears for a while. Then we happily entered into our class room. Met all the other friends.
We were 24 boys & 31 girls; total strenght -55. Wow, what a class room?!! Most of the pupils in our class room were well known to us. Only a few new faces - that too bcoz they were from other schools. We chose the second bench to sit with our gang. Classes started with self introduction. Eveyone started introducing themself to the class. One fellow, stood up and told his name as 'Pooppandhu arasan' (read as tamil word). Every one wondered, what was that. His name is Tennis Raj; he tried to translate that in Tamil. Funny fellow!!
In the second day, we found that our classroom is the most colourful one in the higher secondary. Yes, more than 50% of the strength is girls. We felt proud of that. One more funny incident happened on the third day.
I got a new imported electronic watch as a gift from my Dad. I showed it to Raju when the time was 10:10:10 (hh:mm:ss). He was eager to see the watch, when it shows the time 11:11:11. Physics teacher was interestingly giving a lecture about 'Atomic physics' on the second hour. Raju was concentrating on the watch and he got succeeded in seeing the time 11:11:11. Same time, teacher also noticed him. Asked him to stand up and angrily asked; what are you staring at? Answer my question. 'Atom is made up of'? Raju quickly replied, "It is made in China, sir". Whole classroom laughed for quite sometime, for the wonderful answer.


On the next Monday, i went to school in the afternoon. Classes were going as usual. Suddenly, I felt like something is flashing from the back side. I turned my head back and at the fifth bench I found her smiling face. Who is she? The new girl! Is she a new joinee? I got answers for all my questions from my friends. The 32nd girl is Kaveri. She is from a nearby village and had studied upto SSLC in a girls high school. Today only she has joined our school/class.
She stood up and announced; Dear passengers, please fasten your seat belts; we will be landing in 'Chennai International Airport' shortly.
He opened his eyes and saw the Cabin crew, who is doing the announcement @ the front. He realized that he has reached the destination.
I hope you would have enjoyed 'The journey' so far.
Please, stay tuned for the remaining parts of the story.


Third part
Final Part

5 comments:

vijay said...

>>>You may think, why is he coming to India? (Bcoz, i had not told you !! :))
firstofall why he is in dubai? u dint tell this aswell.

nice journey.

Ohmkumar said...

Your way of writting is good.

Can you feel that, we have started travelling(The journey) towards 10/15 years back?

This lines are unwanted i think. This is a question goes to sleeping person... ( Are you sleeping? )

Shan said...

Nothing to wonder, that name always make others to fall... Waiting for the name which would make to raise...

Wonderful narration...

Drive more...

Sakthiganesh said...

Nalla dhaan iruku....thodarattum... Naadagam maadhiri ilukaadhula... :)

Dobby Severus Salazar said...

Good flow.....

I never thought you would write so naturally. Sounds like Rajesh Kumar novel ;-) in English.....